Friday, February 17, 2012

Just Run, Don't Ask, or You'll Never Understand

Logged more than 80 kilometers of running mileage; lots of burned calories from cross training; and sweated off six lbs in the process. Yes, it was that long since my last blog post and I have some pending articles in my list that remains to be drafts. It’s been like a juggling act for me in the past few months managing my work, late night training runs, cross-training, family, friends, and other commitments that needs to be attended. Don't get me wrong,  I'm not complaining, in fact, it’s becoming an integral part of me doing these things. At the end of each day, it’s either the feeling of satisfaction from accomplishing them all, or feeling incomplete that haunt me in my sleep.

It’s my life indeed, and full as it may seem, here I am trying to share the experience of every runs of my life not to uplift my personal being but to share the joy to those who bother to read them. Enthusiasm isn’t that hard to spell but could be very difficult to convey especially in writing. Likewise, joy in running is also very hard to comprehend for those who are not into it. It’s like a non-smoker asking why more people smoke despite all its negative effect. It’s like a person who hasn’t been in-love who gets embarrassed (or annoyed) by seeing lovers who affectionately express their love publicly. The analogies used were probably out of proportion and of different context, but the point is, there are some things that can’t be understood unless a person actually experience them first hand. Hence, just run, don’t ask, or you’ll never understand.

For whom do I wrote this article? Not for runners who understand - I would say. This is for our friends who keep on asking why we run. For the mothers who asked what foolishness do their sons/daughters are doing in exchange of medals, trophies, or buckles. For the husband/wife who let jealousy get in between their married life because their partners spend so much time in training. And all the intricacies of our chosen lifestyle that are commonly experienced but seldom being discussed.

Running can be one of the great joys of life. For most, it only started with just its health benefits in mind. But as runners rediscover their body and mind through running, they found confidence, strength, perseverance, and acquire great attitude. Attributes that are essential for a happy life. In my case, I always have this amazing stillness of mind as I propel my motion forward. A surprising height of concentration wherein my critical thinking resides. I also heard one runner testifying that ceteris paribus (all other things being equal) before and after being a runner, life's pressure seems to go away. Another friend call her running the "me time" where all her worries could be forgotten and relish the beauty of life. For some, running got them through heart breaks. With all this, I believe it is safe to claim that being fit as a result of running is just a side effect of this lifestyle. It doesn't just emphasize the cuts in our muscles but actually molds one's personality in good shape. So if you are fond of a person who is fit, jolly, doesn't easily get stressed, and always have the right attitude in life - he/she must be a runner.. ;)



1 comments so far. What are your thoughts?

  1. Me, I'm into running for the fitness benefit. I'd rather take gym classes if I could afford them. ;)
    Maybe if/when I take running more seriously all these Zen-like experiences would come, haha.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails